If you’re like me, you probably struggle to get your kids to eat their veggies. My kids eat fruit all day long, but they tend to scream in horror at the sight of most vegetables on their plate (especially my son). I knew the only way I would be able to get my kids to eat their veggies would be to hide them in something else.
I came across a recipe for Popeye Muffins and knew I had to give them a try! However, my deprived 21st century children had no idea who Popeye was, so they weren’t as excited about it as I was. So, I quickly changed the name to Mike Wazowski muffins, since my kids are big Monsters Inc. fans. The change worked like a charm; they get so excited each time for Mike Muffins!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 (6 oz) bag fresh baby spinach
- 2 mashed bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners (or spray with Pam if you don’t have any liners on hand)
- Whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl: flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a blender (I use my NutriBullet), place oil, milk, and spinach. Blend until completely puréed. Add banana and vanilla; blend to mix.
- Pour puréed mixture into dry mixture and fold together until completely combined.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full and bake 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
And that’s it! A deliciously sweet muffin that your whole family will enjoy!
Notes: I have used 2 cups all purpose flour, and a mixture of all-purpose and wheat. All have turned out great. Type of milk doesn’t seem to matter either. I’ve used everything from soy milk to whole milk and everything in between.