A Surprise Delivery

My daughter will be 2 in a few days, so I thought I would share her birth story 🙂

March 14, 2014. I woke up around 7 am feeling slightly sick and experiencing a couple of short contractions. I had a few contractions and then they stopped altogether. I had my 39 week midwife appointment that morning at 10 am, so when it was time I made the 45 minute trip to my midwife’s home along with my 22 month old son. I had a couple more contractions on the way, but of course they stopped completely once I was at her house. I told my midwife I had experienced a few contractions, and she said it sounded like my body was starting to get ready for labor. I had decided earlier that I didn’t want any cervical checks, so I left trusting that my body was doing what it should, and hoping I would have a baby within the next day or two.

After the appointment I ran some errands and took my son to McDonald’s for lunch. Again, being in the car caused some contractions, but by the time I was home they had faded away. I spent the afternoon resting: I watched tv and even took a nap. I had a few more contractions at this time, but they were 15 minutes apart and not painful, so I ignored them.

When my husband got home that evening I told him I had been having some contractions and we decided to get the birth pool set up so that we wouldn’t have to do that while I was in labor. We quickly realized we needed to purchase an adaptor for the hose and left for the store at 5 pm.

As soon as we got to the store, the contractions came. Only this time, they were coming every 5 minutes, and while I wasn’t yet in pain, I did have to breathe through them. I walked around the store for an hour, knowing that walking was good for labor and wanting to hopefully turn this prodromal labor into active labor. We got home a little after 6 pm. My husband started setting up the birth pool while I watched Spider-Man with my son.

At 7 pm I put my son to bed and told my husband I believed I was in labor. I spent the next 45 minutes sitting on the birth ball, walking the halls, and reciting my birth affirmations. Contractions were about 3-4 minutes apart, but only lasting 30-45 seconds. And on a scale of 1-10 the pain was a 3. I felt discouraged, thinking there was no way my body was dilating due to the lack of pain I was feeling.

At 7:45 pm,  I lost my mucus plug and called my midwife to give her the heads up that I was in labor. I told her how I was feeling and she listened to me having a couple of contractions. We both agreed I was in early labor and that I would call her again when I was ready for her to come to the house. I continued sitting on the birth ball and reading through my birth affirmations.

9:00 pm. My contractions that had been painless and sporadic were suddenly intense and coming every 2 minutes. Every time a contraction hit I would drop to my hands and knees, as that was the only position that felt comfortable. At 9:10 I called my midwife and was able to get out the words “I need you here” before hanging up on her.

9:20 pm. I had been drinking water and Gatorade to stay hydrated and knew that a full bladder made contractions more painful, so I decided to go to the bathroom. My husband came in it check on me just as I was finishing. I stood up and felt the strongest contraction yet. I immediately sat back down on the toilet. Before I could stand up again, another contraction came. With this one I felt my body start to push on its own. One push and my water broke….and I felt a head! I placed both hands on the baby’s head and said “the baby is coming!” while standing up so that I wouldn’t give birth on the toilet. My body pushed one more time and our baby was born into my husband’s capable hands. I had delivered standing up in the middle of the bathroom.  “It’s a girl!” My husband exclaimed as he handed me our daughter (we had decided to wait and be surprised.) All I could think to say was, “Are you sure?” My husband still laughs at that 🙂

I sat there in the bathroom,  totally in awe of my newborn daughter while my husband ran around grabbing towels and calling the midwife to let her know what happened. Our midwife was surprised to hear I had given birth, as it had been less than 20 minutes from when I had last called her! My husband got us settled comfortably in bed and I was nursing my daughter when my midwife arrived. We were both checked and were in perfect condition. The entire atmosphere was peaceful and calm.

I had heard that some women experience pain-free labors, but never thought it was actually true. I was amazed once more at how different labor can be. Four hours of pain-free contractions, followed by 25 minutes of painful contractions and we had our second child. I will always be forever grateful to God for giving me such an easy and peaceful labor. Her birth was so unique and taught me that labor can be a positive experience.

Jana Reese born at home at 9:29 pm. 7 pounds 6 ounces. Daddy’s princess, and Mommy’s girl. Happy 2nd birthday Jana Panda!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s